The internet is an exciting place and we aim to support students to be aware of its benefits and risks in order to use it confidently and safely.
This leaflet, from London Grid for Learning, gives some useful tips for parents on this subject. Parents, carers and students can also find out more from the following websites:
Top Tips from Childnet International
- Protect your online reputation: use the services provided to manage your digital footprints and ‘think before you post.’ Content posted online can last forever and could be shared publicly by anyone.
- Know where to find help: understand how to report to service providers and use blocking and deleting tools. If something happens that upsets you online, it’s never too late to tell someone.
- Don’t give in to pressure: if you lose your inhibitions you've lost control; once you’ve pressed send you can’t take it back.
- Respect the law: use reliable services and know how to legally access the music, film and TV you want.
- Acknowledge your sources: use trustworthy content and remember to give credit when using others’ work/ideas.
Support for parents and carers
The following websites offer support to parents and carers to help them ensure children our using the internet safely and responsibly.